Friends of Newham Primary School
- assists with the schools' environmental program, eg Waterwatch (Jenny Waugh continues to lead the testing and analysis program)
- provides annual funding for activities within the environmental program
- arranges and funds additional activities for the school, eg in 2012 Wild Action Zoo; Geoff Williams from the Platypus Conservancy, and Deborah
Tabart from the Koala Foundation visited the school, on an ad hoc basis
- through the propagation group, provides indigenous plants for landscaping of the school grounds and assists with fund-raising.
Roadside Management Group
- maps the Newham area for roadside weeds, and loads the data into the Macedon Shire database
- working bees to cut and paint weeds
- demonstration stretches of roadside have been sprayed with herbicide and these will be planted with
native vegetation at a later date, when weed control has been deemed adequate
- information and education sessions eg indigenous propogation, visiting speakers.
See for example Spring/Summer 2015 Newsletter article on "Rural Roadsides - a summary for 2015";
Summer 2013 Newsletter article "The Weedies - NDLG's Roadside Management Group" p3-5
The group meets bi-monthly, contact is convenor Sue Massie
Seed collection/ seed bank / propagation Group
- promotes the use of the indigenous native plants
- provides skills for propagation and seed collection to all interested members
- will establish a seed bank
- meets weekly during school terms [weather permitting], with parents of Newham Primary school, to grow plants ordered by Melbourne Water
- grows indigenous plants for distribution to members at cost of materials.
- See the List of local plants
Wesley Park Interest Group
- works with Newham Garden group to improve the Park
- will establish and maintain display areas of indigenous native plants within the park.
Fox and Rabbit Eradication Group
- undertook a multi-faceted pest animal eradication project based on the successful Mount William program
- can provide advice and support for any group of landowners wishing to undertake co-ordinated action against pest animals.